1. Welcome to Valkyr Australia, we're a well-established Australian gaming community based around a minecraft server. . Withermoar

Here are some links that you might find useful.

Space Engineers (Maybe a server one day)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by TheFlyingBear, Nov 9, 2013.

1. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Donator

The game is currently in Early Access Alpha for $15 on steam, dunno if its offered outside of steam. It's starting out eerily similary to minecraft, only a creative mode is available right now with a lot of functions ready but disabled while they tune it up. Also only singleplayer is available right now and they have yet to add a substaintial map generation system as there's nothing but void shortly after leaving the comfort of the asteroids you spawn near.

But the devs are working on multiplayer and a survival mode. I could easily see this game having randomly generated space entities such as asteroid belts and planets, and maybe even missions. They've even got a mild amount of lore creating a point in time which the game takes place (loading screens have quotes describing Space Engineers that come from their year 2077 Wikipedia).

It has an enormous amount of potential. It's physics and collission engine are incredible but don't cause problems for computers within the recommended specs until you build absurdly large ships (and as it stands that's the only thing limiting your build sizes, how much your computer can handle or when the game runs out of memory for entities).

Already having fun with the various building options and crashing the default ships into each other. Looking forward to future updates, they just changed landing gear so you can magnetically stick smaller ships to larger ships (so they don't bounce around and get destroyed if they are in a hangar bay or something during transport) or you can latch on to another ship and tow it.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. TrueRedMEDIA

TrueRedMEDIA Donator

Minecraft Username:
    sconnius
    Yea ive got this game its awesome :D
  3. Native_99

Native_99 Mr. Nice Guy

Minecraft Username:
    Native_99
    Was seriously thinking about getting this game, looks pretty good
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Oz_Assassin

Oz_Assassin Donator

Got it on me wishlist.
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Azurand

Azurand Retired Moderator

Minecraft Username:
    Azurand
    Looks interesting.
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Konjan

Konjan Donator

Minecraft Username:
    Konjan
    This game, I enjoy it.
  7. muzza299

muzza299 The Hopeless One

Minecraft Username:
    muzza299
    Got it, it has potential.
    But as it is now, StarMade > Space Engineers.
    Personally I don't see me liking it more than StarMade, but we'll see.

Edit: Get mad.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
    • Dumb Dumb x 2
  8. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Donator

Survival/Multiplayer isn't here yet but the dev's keep piling updates on. Here's a lovely little player-made video that the Dev's took notice to and put in their twitter feed.

9. Oz_Assassin

Oz_Assassin Donator

Starbound looks groovy.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Nat

Nat Donator

Minecraft Username:
    Goldsoul
    Seconded.
  11. cuzboy2000

cuzboy2000 Donator

Minecraft Username:
    cuzbot2000
    it's an eh not much content, get it when it's released.
  12. Oz_Assassin

Oz_Assassin Donator

It's cheaper now than it will be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Donator

I have starbound too, and I'm loving it. I jump back and forth between the two as I follow the devs content updates. Both are going to be fantastic games when they've been filled with content.
  14. Nat

Nat Donator

Minecraft Username:
    Goldsoul
    Nothing to do after x-sector and impervius..
    I lose the patience to wait for a matter manipulator xD
  15. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Donator

Necrobumps that exceed 600 days are excused right?

This game has blossomed spectacularly. Reading my summary its hard to believe how far they've come. There's multiplayer, survival, oxygen, jump drives, infinitely generated worlds, derelict ships and stations, automated pirate bases and drones, and in the last 3 months they added planets and moons which comes with spider aliens on one of them. And its all on Directx 11 now, they're dropping support for the Directx9 version at the end of March. Oh and the steam modding community has absolutely flooded this game with unique player additions. The only real downside is its actually grown a little too fast and currently the devs are belting out bug fixes in weekly updates instead of much content because of how much optimization is needed for existing content. But they're nearing beta releases when they get the worst of the bugs out, and full release shortly after which will only be followed by even more content I'd imagine.

The game now costs about $25, a very modest price increase considering how much has been added since I made this thread. It's still considered early alpha and as I stated theres a lot of disruptive bugs going about in the game, but they're ironing them out by the dozens each week, and the game is more than playable in its current state. You just might accidentally have a piston rip itself off of your ship and pay an explosive visit to your hangar once in a while.

Now bask in the glory of the planets trailer they made a few months ago.

Also if anyone wants to add me on steam, look up Beartornado.

[​IMG]

Bonus image - When the game bugged out and gave me an impossible amount of magnesium ore:
    Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  16. TheFlyingBear

TheFlyingBear Donator

And almost a year later since the planets update, and they have a massive block rendering overhaul. All blocks have brand new appearances giving the aesthetic a very bulky-industrial look. I don't play the game as much as I should but it's updates like these that keep me going.

**EDIT**

And a week later they announce they're actually moving into Beta and they have a wonderful Beta Trailer showcasing the new looks and some of the new tutorial campaign.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016